The Nepal earthquakes of April and May 2015 killed 20,000 people and destroyed half a million homes and community buildings. The impact was felt greatest in the hills where endemic poverty is a major “push” factor that fuels child trafficking. Moreover, the children who drop out of school early are ready prey for child traffickers who falsely promise them a good future even in the absence of an education.
Since the earthquakes ChoraChori has been working to restore education at three village primary schools in the hills to the southeast of Kathmandu. This has involved rebuilding the schools totally and incentivising attendance by providing revenue support, including free school lunches. Now we wish to build upon this success by completing the project work at these schools and by supporting the very good local state school, Kitini Higher Secondary School, that provides secondary education to children from these and other impoverished village communities.
Fundraising for Nepali schoolchildren
Our Vision is to restore opportunity and a future free from poverty to children from two of Nepal’s Districts; Lalitpur and Kavre. We want to reduce children’s vulnerability to being trafficked.
Our Aim is to establish good quality, sustainable primary and secondary education that motivates children, teachers and families alike.
Our Objectives are:
- To improve the fabric of schools
- To increase educational provision
- To encourage attendance and reduce drop-outs
- To introduce local sustainability
- To research needs at other schools
- Furnishing kindergartens
- Providing free primary school lunches to incentivise attendance
- Paying for an extra teacher
- Purchasing computers and setting up a science laboratory at a secondary school
- Establishing mushroom cultivation to generate a local income for the programme
- Paying for a ChoraChori programme officer/researcher
Event is completed
MyDonate is not responsible for the content fundraisers post on their pages, but if you see something you feel is offensive or inappropriate, please let us know