Positive Steps Charity
To date over £45,000 has been raised. 100% of this money is used to provide medical healthcare and assistance to the people of Nkhoma. (Positive Steps registered charity 1159715).
Nkhoma Hospital is nestled under Nkhoma Mountain in rural Malawi. It was built over 100 years ago and receives funding from the Malawian Government who pay approximately 40 % of the running costs to cover salaries and medication for specific diseases (e.g. tuberculosis and childhood immunisations). Further income is generated from patient fees (there is a private ward where the charges are higher), but the hospital still has a major shortfall in income.
Nkhoma Hospital Solar Project - To donate to this project please visit the Events section below.
We have now launched the ‘Nkhoma Hospital Solar Project’ in partnership with Employ My Ability, with the aim of raising £100,000 to provide solar powered electricity to the hospital as they are currently without power for long periods of time.
The result of no electricity is:
- Premature Babies can only rely on kangaroo care, the body warmth of their mothers (and hospital staff) because the heaters in the premature baby room do not work
- There is no vital supplemental oxygen for patients with breathing problems or patients who need surgery as the oxygen concentrators need power
- Medication that should be kept cool, gets too warm in the African heat to be viable
- Operations are cancelled
- Surgical equipment cannot be cleaned
- The laboratory cannot cross match blood so vital blood transfusions are delayed
- Babies are delivered by torch light
- Wounds are sutured by torch light
Charity No: 1159715
Find out more
How you can help
Fundraising activities and events
MyDonate is not responsible for the content fundraisers post on their pages, but if you see something you feel is offensive or inappropriate, please let us know