Dumfries & Galloway Befriending Project
We are an early intervention service which exists to promote the well-being of vulnerable young people by encouraging successful transitions in their lives, building social networks and offering a range of coping strategies.
This is done through one-to-one befriending of a young person with an accredited adult enjoying community based activates. A befriender spends time with a young person, listening and sharing fun experiences with him or her. Together, they spend a few hours a week – maybe enjoying an activity, chatting and generally ‘having fun.’
Young people referred to the project may be:
* Going through a rough patch
* Isolated – geographically or socially
* Unable to access social activities
* Affected by the lifestyle of other family member
* Affected by bulling or other problems at school
* A young carer
Befriending can make a huge difference to a young person’s life. It aims to boost confidence and improve life opportunities by…
* Developing trust between a young person and an adult.
* Providing an independent, non-judgmental adult to talk to confidentially – someone outwith the family.
* Offering an opportunity to try out different activities and learn new skills.
* Channelling energies in a positive direction.
* Encouraging development of their skills and expansion of their horizons.
Charity No: SC024562
Find out more
How you can help
MyDonate is not responsible for the content fundraisers post on their pages, but if you see something you feel is offensive or inappropriate, please let us know